Now that the renovation of our community garden is complete, our Food Project team are able to provide ‘outdoor classroom’ educational workshops for local primary school children in the space. Our staff work with you to develop curriculum links and sessions that are relevant to age group and current class topics. For example we can build lessons that explore:
- Identifying different plants and mini-beasts.
- Plant lifecycles.
- Understanding where our food comes from.
- Practical food growing skills.
- Craft workshops e.g. Printing, dyeing and rubbings with different plants.
- Healthy cookery workshops using produce from the garden.
Our garden is also a fantastic place to learn about sustainability because the space was designed by ‘Permaculture’ consultants and it’s packed with green features like a compost toilet, donated police horse manure for the fertiliser and wood chippings from local tree surgeons.